Wichita Car Accident Lawyer | Kansas Personal Injury Lawyer

Contact Us

Get In Touch

    Missing Work After A Car Accident

    After suffering injuries in a car or truck accident, it may be necessary for you to take some time off from work. The need to take time off is dependent on the seriousness of your injuries, but also on the amount of flexibility your job provides.  Some people may be afraid to miss work because it could mean that they would miss out on a much-needed paycheck.  Fortunately, lost wages due to the personal injury sustained in a car accident are compensable losses in Kansas.

    Personal Injury Protection Insurance

    In Kansas, all drivers are required to carry Personal Injury Protection insurance, also known as PIP insurance.  This insurance covers about 85 percent of lost wages if the insured person is in a car accident.  Your car insurance will rarely cover the full amount of your lost wages, although some people may be covered depending on their policy.  If your out-of-pocket expenses are in excess of $2,000, you can seek the full amount of your lost wages by suing the other driver’s insurance company or the driver personally.

    You can recover for past lost wages, as well as for future lost wages that are attributable to the injuries suffered in the car accident.  In calculating the amount owed for these losses, any time off you took, such as vacation or sick days, will generally not be calculated any differently from other missed days.  That is, pay for vacation and sick days will generally not offset the amount owed in lost wages.

    If possible, it is important to see a doctor before missing work based on your injuries.  Your doctor’s opinion on your ability to return to work while recovering can go a long way when seeking compensation for lost wages.  Even though you have a medical opinion from your doctor regarding your ability to return to work, the other driver’s insurance company may still require you to see its own doctor before agreeing to any settlement.  The insurance company’s doctor may disagree with your doctor on the severity of your injuries, or the treatment you need.  This does not mean that you will not get compensated; you can always challenge the doctor’s findings.

    Let Us Assist You

    If you had to miss work as a result of a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for any lost wages.  Additionally, you may be eligible for future lost wages if you have serious long term or permanent injuries.  Contact the experienced car accident attorneys of the Wall Huntington Law Firm in Wichita, Kansas for a consultation by calling 316-265-6000 or 800-475-4140