Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – A Silent Killer
Last week, the Wichita Eagle published an article on the possibility of Sedgwick County passing a code which would require a carbon monoxide detector in all new homes. See www.kansas.com/news/local/article15711182.html The article touches on a subject close to our hearts, as we have first hand experience in handling cases where individuals have suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of faulty furnaces, or poorly maintained appliances and equipment.
Remember the following tips: (1) make sure appliances are installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes (2) have your heating system professionally inspected and serviced annually, including inspection of chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections; (3) if you rent a house or apartment, talk with your landlord to insure the premises is being safely and properly maintained and (3) although installation of a CO alarms can provide added protection and costs less than $20.00, there are no substitutes for proper use and upkeep of appliances that can produce CO.
Prompt treatment for CO poisoning is critical. Delay in treatment can lead to devastating physical and mental damages, including brain damage, mental impairments, neurological impairments, personality changes and depression, headaches, hearing and vision loss, balance and motor control problems, heart problems and seizures. Prompt treatment and evaluation at the nearest center with onsite Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) units can prove to be life-saving.
In some cases, carbon monoxide injury may have been avoided if appropriate safety measure had been taken. If your CO exposure was caused by the negligence of another person or corporation, financial compensation may be available to you. Please contact us, at 316-265-6000 for a free evaluation of your individual situation.